Coastal Colour Palette Tips, And How To Choose The Perfect White Paint!
A coastal interior doesn’t have to be white, but choosing a consistent colour palette is essential to delivering on your theme and creating that coastal look. Whilst colours may vary in each room, it's good to have an over arching tone that ties the home together.
With colours it’s best to make the brighter bold colours the accent colours. As a loose guide these accent colours make up around 10% of the room. The softer neutral colours make up the majority of the room.
COLOURS AND TEXTURES THAT WORK WELL WITH A COASTAL LOOK ARE:
- Tones of whites, neutrals and soft greys - around 55% (these form the walls).
- Wood, rattan, bamboo, concrete - around 30% (these form the floor and the furniture).
- Accent colours e.g. blues, seafoam, duck egg, sunset colours of coral and soft pinks - around 10% (these form the decor and wall art).
- Greenery e.g. plants around 5%.
With a coastal colour pallet you will be looking for neutral paint colours to create that relaxed feeling that you get when you are by the coast.
- A coastal look is about creating a light, airy, breezy, relaxed feel. A shade of white is always a great way to start and it means you'll have no issues matching things with it.
- Start by taking some photo’s of your rooms and take them into your local paint shop and see a colour consultant. There is a huge variety of whites from cold to warm and what works best for you will depend on your home, the light and the aspect. It's easier to discuss this with them if you have some photo's.
- The next step is to choose some samples and paint them on the wall. Paint a big enough space to get a feel for the colour 60cm - 100cm squared is a good size. The bigger the better - make sure you do two coats to get the right colour.
- If you are still a little unsure it’s always best to go lighter as its easier to paint it a shade darker, than it is to go the other way.
PAINT COLOURS WE LOVE
- Alabaster (White)
- Half Fossil (Neutral)
- Concrete (Grey)
- Natural White, Vivid White (Whites)
- Limed White Quarter (Neutral)
- Dieskau (Grey)
Image via Pinterest and can be found on our Living Room Inspiration Board.
This living room has a beautiful combination of white paint, wooden furniture and detail, blue accent colours, and a splash of greenery.